April 28, 2021Recipes
IRON + C Chocolate Cake
Now you can have your cake and eat it too with VITUS® IRON + C. Beetroot is good for your health and cake is good for your soul. Enjoy this amazing recipe by one of our best.
- 2 large beets, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or other plant milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup applesauce.
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp coffee powder
- 2 cups type ‘00’ flour
- 1 cup raw cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional decoration: Blueberries and vegan chocolate squares
- 1 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp VITUS IRON+C Powder
- 1–2 tbsp beet liquid (leftover from cooking)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and place the quartered beets into a small baking dish, along with about ½ cup water. Cover the dish, and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the beets are fork-tender. Allow the beets to cool for 5 minutes, then place them in a blender, along with a tablespoon or two of water and puree until smooth. Measure out ¾ cup puree to cool. Reserve the remaining liquid from the cooked beets.
- Turn the heat down to 180°C and line 9″ round cake pans with parchment paper and dust the pans with cocoa powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar, and allow it to sit for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the olive oil and applesauce, whisk to combine.
- Add the ¾ cup beet puree, sugar and vanilla extract.
- To the ½ cup boiling water, add the espresso powder, and stir until completely dissolved (set aside).
- In another large mixing bowl, sift together the dry mix (flour, VITUS IRON+C Powder, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt). Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stir a few times with a large wooden spoon, then add the espresso. Stir a few more times, then add the remaining dry ingredient and use an electric hand mixer to blend fully. Spread the batter evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake the cakes for 30-35 minutes, checking at 30 minutes with a toothpick to ensure the cake is fully cooked.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
Prepare the vegan buttercream:
- Using an electric hand mixer, whip the softened vegan butter until light and fluffy.
- Add half of the powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon VITUS IRON+C, followed by 1 tablespoon of reserved beet cooking liquid and mix together.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar, along with the vanilla extract and mix on high. If the buttercream seems too stiff, add additional beet liquid; if it is too soft, add an additional cup of powdered sugar.
- Frost the cake!
- Add optional decoration: Blueberries & vegan chocolate squares.
Hi Asspa, amazing, it’s pretty delicious! It’s 1/2 tsp VITUS IRON+C Powder
VITUS April 29, 2022
Hello, I can wait to make this cake! But can you please let me know how much iron+c powder to add to the cake…I can’t see it listed in the recipe ingredients.
Asspa April 14, 2022